pepsiman14
pepsiman15
pepsiman16
pepsiman17
pepsiman18
pepsiman19
pepsiman20

3 Likes

The pacing! The editing! Very slick and stylized - perfect for this type of content. I like the large, blurred out backgrounds which inform the ambience, enabling more freeform paneling and giving a nice flavor to the space inbetween.

And as for the shots themselves, you have a very good control over how you portray the characters. The lighting works very well, both in more obvious scenarios, as well as for Commander Kola’s shaded face - we just know something’s off with that guy!

However, I think some more establishing shots could be helpful for readers. I got really confused in the first scene as to who was there and who wasn’t (I thought that the guy was thinking about his friend, and that she was in another place/time). Maybe a single panel, with a distance from the characters, just in order to show who is standing where relative to what.

1 Like

I very much appreciate your feedback as always, George. The reason why there aren’t establishing shots at the very beginning are due to a conscious decision on my end, as I wanted to throw the reader right into the middle of something that was already happening before the reader’s eyes got there (hence the immediate bank robbery giving very little space for small talk). Pepsiman is overall the comic equivalent of a car crash, minus the insurance costs and the psychological trauma. It comes in guns blazing and leaves you wondering “What the hell just happened?”

What I wanted to do was an exact polar opposite to Hackman I’s massive series of world-establishing screenshots by creating a starter chapter that felt like a jump into another timeline’s rush hour, with all the chaos of a sprawling metropolis such as Evocity. Half-Boiled was an excellent exercise to get the hollywood action out of me, and now I can’t wait to take the world further into this upwards spiral of normalized madness.

1 Like

I love all the little details, as mentioned on discord the static effect on the speech bubble,
the fact that he picks up the whole phone,
lots of little things like that to notice and appreciate.
Very fun and hilarious to see and read :smiley:

Interesting to hear about your thoughts behind it. I think you succeeded well in that regard, just like you did with the aforementioned Half-Boiled :wink:

1 Like

That was pretty good!