Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Metrocop forums! Metrocop is a site dedicated to creative content, such as comics and screenshots, created using Valve Software's Source engine. It's safer here.

To make posts or threads, please register as a member.

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Comics Chatter
Topic Started: Mar 23 2015, 09:29 PM (24,258 Views)
Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

I realize with the existing chat thread this may be a bit redundant, but I figured a sizable percentage of the few of us around here are still quite invested in GMod comics, so I decided to make a thread to discuss them, new and old.

No rules per se, but bear in mind, if you wanna talk about something you're actively working on right now, there's a WiP Thread. I kind of see this thread as more a place to discuss memories, share old comics we find, or even discuss ideas for future comics to gauge interest or see if anyone wants to help out.

I thought of maybe starting the thread with a conversation about the site most of us started in regards to joining the GMod community: PHWOnline.

I haven't hidden in the past that my history with PHW was bittersweet. I joined as an active member relatively late in the game - September 2007 - and PHW's slow and painful downhill slide began just one month later. However, I was a very active lurker from very early on, visiting the site pretty much every day as a teen in 2005 and 2006, which made it even sadder that I joined at the worst possible time - because I wanted to have a finished comic when I joined, but I only got a PC decent enough for the job March of that year, and worked throughout the Summer on the comic.
Thanks to the comic being fairly well received in the beginning, I started to get to know a lot of people early on and getting a good enough reputation despite releasing few comics. I managed to get to know most of the popular comic makers, which at the time was kinda like meeting your favorite rockstar, only nerdier and a lot more irrelevant. Unfortunately, I made a huge mistake in assuming the community was cool enough to handle the opposite gender, so when my girlfriend got involved in the mix it became a mess and, when Slick, the single Admin by that point, actually suggested I make things worse rather than help, I quit PHW for good. Ever since, I've had

That said, GMod comics were at their best in the times of (and thanks to) PHW, so I've pondered about doing some sort of homage to its golden years for its tenth anniversary - maybe even talk to its creator Michael Clements, who's been very friendly and approachable in the few occasions I tried to reach him. I'd like to know if you guys would like to see something of the sort and what ideas you have for it; I'd also be happy to make it a community effort of sorts, and see our small but great group of people work together on something.

I'd also love to read your "origin stories" in particular. Did you start in Facepunch of PHW? How did you get started and how great/terrible were your first comics? What do you miss the most about the old comics communities? Let's talk!
Posted Image

Jim_Riley
Member Avatar
U.S. Marinade

I can only briefly remember those darker days that involved you and the rest of the community. Most of it is due to not actually wanting to get too involved in the circle-jerk nature of It all. Granted, when I made ACM status (the much coveted "Approved Comic Maker") I felt like I wanted to be more involved. I never did. It became clear that such status was only riding on my vastly superior photoshop/image manipulating partner Uberslug who actually had legitimate skills in editing. We had two different visions for our collaboration and I just didn't feel satisfied with my "half", so to speak. So I halted Gray Saints and started Beyond Borders in an effort to garner total, personal satisfaction for something I conjured up with my imagination, on my own. Been a roller coaster ride in that regard though because it's hard work.

I found PHW first and read all those comics from the old crew. I was entranced with the GMod potential on comic making and had endless amounts of inspiration as many a young gmod comic maker has. A couple months later, roughly Feb 2006, I joined FP. Back when posts rated 1-5 and when they had smartness points. Been making screenshots and comics since. It's crazy to think I've been doing it for almost a decade.
I'M WORKING ON COMICS STILL (srsly)

Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

Jim_Riley
Mar 23 2015, 11:11 PM
I can only briefly remember those darker days that involved you and the rest of the community. Most of it is due to not actually wanting to get too involved in the circle-jerk nature of It all. Granted, when I made ACM status (the much coveted "Approved Comic Maker") I felt like I wanted to be more involved. I never did. It became clear that such status was only riding on my vastly superior photoshop/image manipulating partner Uberslug who actually had legitimate skills in editing. We had two different visions for our collaboration and I just didn't feel satisfied with my "half", so to speak. So I halted Gray Saints and started Beyond Borders in an effort to garner total, personal satisfaction for something I conjured up with my imagination, on my own. Been a roller coaster ride in that regard though because it's hard work.

I found PHW first and read all those comics from the old crew. I was entranced with the GMod potential on comic making and had endless amounts of inspiration as many a young gmod comic maker has. A couple months later, roughly Feb 2006, I joined FP. Back when posts rated 1-5 and when they had smartness points. Been making screenshots and comics since. It's crazy to think I've been doing it for almost a decade.
I'm going to sound completely contradictory to your point but if you need someone to edit, I'm your guy. I get extremely burned out by posing but I love editing comics and I usually get complimented over it, so I like to think I'm not half-bad. If that's what frustrates you in comic making, please let me help you so we can both do some combined good for the comics community.
In any case, I imagine your feelings may have changed over not feeling satisfied with just doing part of the work. Especially because editing is just a small part and it's not nearly enough to distinguish a comic on its quality.

And also, I found this while trying to find if there are any scraps left of PHW. It tells a lot of PHW's story and sheds a lot of light on how much drama went on, publicly and behind-the-scenes.
Posted Image

Jim_Riley
Member Avatar
U.S. Marinade

Oh yes, my feelings toward a collaboration have certainly changed indeed. I'd like to get back with Uberslug one day and bring back Gray Saints, for example.

With regards to other collaborations, I'm considering it. Won't decide anything right now but I like that the offer stands.

FZE
Member Avatar
Ask Me About Ridin' Dirty
Mythos
Mar 23 2015, 11:45 PM
And also, I found this while trying to find if there are any scraps left of PHW. It tells a lot of PHW's story and sheds a lot of light on how much drama went on, publicly and behind-the-scenes.
Why can't people just be happy with fun things? How can anyone be so utterly devoid of perspective as to get flustered over comic strips made with a video game?

Yukon
Member Avatar
Canadian, Eh

I started my Gmod career with Facepunch back in 2006 during the golden years of Comics and Personal skins, when the likes of Tribal Rose and others released comics on an almost daily basis. The good ole times when all personal skins were just reskinned citizens as opposed to models ported from other games with lots of gear variation. I was very briefly a member on PHW but I didn't stay long.

I didn't actually join the personal skin scene until a year or so later, but since the beginning I dabbled with comics. Mind you they weren't that great (as Mythos can attest to since he's seen one), but they were well recieved and I continued to do it because I enjoyed the feeling of brightening someone else's day with my humour.

I joined the personal skins scene officially in 2008, tried my best to make quality comics that I put a lot of time into and eventually got invited to join a small comic making group called Corporate Zombie. Which at the time was all the rave there with the FP member Striker at the helm. Although that group is no longer active the name lives on. I've made a few comics for that here and there but my interest in that area of comics took a nose dive with all the drama that came into the personal skin threads. My interest in that area is coming back, but I'm not really affiliated with that thread anymore.

Started working on a HL2 series with Jim and Ben in late 2010, though I'm ashamed to admit that there hasn't been any releases on that front on my part. Regardless I am passionate about doing that collaborative series with Jim and Ben and will see it through to the end. (Once I get a shiny new laptop that can run Gmod properly)

That's my "origins" story.
Posted Image

Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

FZE
Mar 24 2015, 01:58 AM
Why can't people just be happy with fun things? How can anyone be so utterly devoid of perspective as to get flustered over comic strips made with a video game?
Most being teenagers back in the day probably had something to do with it. Myself included, although my fair share of causing drama was on Phenomena on Break - the thing on PHW was something others got out of hand.

In a sense, it's a good thing that so long has passed, even if it left only a few of us - we're all more mature than we used to be, so we don't give this too much importance and can actually enjoy it for what it is.

EDIT: Just learned of "This War of Mine" (through Hey Ash Whatcha Playin, inappropriately enough). Curiously, I have a bit of a portrayal of refugees of war in TAoHC's seventh chapter, but nothing deep. It just occurred to me how good a serious comic about survival in war-torn City 17 could be. Think Jim_Riley's Why We Fight but focused on citizens fighting amongst themselves for food, hiding from gun-toting CPs and waiting for rebels to hopefully show up and take them to safety.

Who knows, I might do it as a single comic once I finish the one I'm working on. Or maybe not, could be an interesting thing to create, but I hate to reduce real-world issues to comics created using a videogame. That's why my comics always have some lighthearted undertone, I personally don't find it appropriate for me to do otherwise.
Edited by Mythos, Mar 24 2015, 03:53 AM.
Posted Image

ESToomere
Member Avatar
BLAST!

Oh my, do I "outrank" you all? I joined when PHW was still only PHW comics, and later PHWComics when the forums also opened up. In fact, me being into comics this much is why I started mapping. Kinda funny that in my 10 years as a mapper I've yet to release anything of... "importance" for a lack of a better word. I don't think I signed up right then and there but I remember lurking the main site a lot and then slowly beginning to understand how forums work.

And hey, it took 10 years but finally I got to where I wanted. Thanks, Mythos.

P.S. How many of you remember me back from PHW? I don't think I ever changed my avatar:

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by ESToomere, Mar 24 2015, 09:31 AM.
Posted Image

Jim_Riley
Member Avatar
U.S. Marinade

ESToomere
Mar 24 2015, 09:29 AM
Oh my, do I "outrank" you all? I joined when PHW was still only PHW comics, and later PHWComics when the forums also opened up. In fact, me being into comics this much is why I started mapping. Kinda funny that in my 10 years as a mapper I've yet to release anything of... "importance" for a lack of a better word. I don't think I signed up right then and there but I remember lurking the main site a lot and then slowly beginning to understand how forums work.

And hey, it took 10 years but finally I got to where I wanted. Thanks, Mythos.

P.S. How many of you remember me back from PHW? I don't think I ever changed my avatar:

Spoiler: click to toggle
Well, I found and became a member of PHW in Oct. 2005 so if you were before then, you were definitely an oldie of oldies because I thought THAT was a long time ago!

Can't say I remember the avatar though. It has been a while though...

It's funny thinking back how young some of us must have been and how much we are grew since. Maturity being a huge factor. I don't ever want to see the shit I used to say years ago on those boards.

Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

Heh, I was recently reminded of who I was back in the day when I scoured the long-closed PoB forums (advantage of having been second-in-command) for old comics to update the Metrocop archive. I know for a fact I was, late-2008 onwards, an arrogant prick who made absolutely no comics and yet acted like a critic. Even if I actually had some good points, I should've made my own comics rather than nitpick others'.

Back in PHW days I was more modest, being a newbie and all, but I'm sure I did some stupid things. Heck, I left on a tantrum, even though I still think I made the right choice.

(Sorry, being quite self-centered as usual here, that's something I have yet to correct)
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Comics · Next Topic »
  • Pages: