Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Metrocop forums! Metrocop is a site dedicated to creative content, such as comics and screenshots, created using Valve Software's Source engine. It's safer here.

To make posts or threads, please register as a member.

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Lambda Wars V3.5 - Third-and-a-half time's a charm!; Lambda Wars - the RP thread, not the RTS.
Topic Started: Feb 10 2018, 07:01 AM (766 Views)
Olmate Ubafest
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Banner made by yours truly

Lambda Wars, rather frustratingly, is back with yet another iteration! After a rough and rocky history bouncing around with GM's active or otherwise, this time around we aim to make it a fun, interesting, and active thread. I personally have a lot of time to devote to this, and I'll make damn sure that this thread stays alive, rain or shine, players or not. Let's make Lambda Wars great again!

Before anything, we urge you to join our Discord
Discord makes communication and discussion immensely easier, and is generally where announcements are announced. Plus it's good to have a little chat going
https://discord.gg/TZuCEpF

What is Lambda Wars?
Inspired greatly by similar threads like Espionage Wars, Lambda Wars is a faction-based Roleplay thread set in the Half-Life universe. Players can take part in the dictatorial Universal Union as a Combine faction, take up arms and fight for freedom as the Resistance, or create an original non-affiliated Independent group and try to get by amid the chaos of the Combine's occupation.

Be sure to check the previous thread for player posts and faction intros to get a grip on where we are now.

Game Masters
Head-honcho - Olmate Ubafest
Secondary Head-honcho - Piggo

Posted Image

Creating a Faction
Be sure to message me or another GM about your faction if you're uncertain about things you wish to include, otherwise be sure to have fun.
Your faction can fall into 3 categories: Combine, Resistance, or Independent

• Combine: The Combine are an alien force that have invaded Earth and enslaved its populace with materials and technology far beyond man's. There are 4 groups a Combine faction can undertake:

Civil Protection - the 'law enforcement' of the Combine, humans enlisted to act as the police force of population centers. CP's embody the oppressive nature of the Combine, incredibly strict on rules and instilling regular beatings to anyone that so even looks at them funny. CP units are confined to Urban Centers ONLY and cannot take any action outside cities/towns/slums/ ect.

Conscripts - Conscripts are lowest-of-low remnants of previous human world militaries forced to fight under the Combine banner. Conscripts are poorly equipped and mentally worn units used as frontline cannon fodder. The combine does not hold them in any high regard and are generally not valued in the slightlest - so keep that in mind when controlling a conscript force. As a conscript faction you can be equipped with nothing more than pre-war weapons and vehicles. In extreme situations pre-war tanks, apc's, and ect. can be used - just for the love of Christ don't go overboard. Try to also keep the eastern-European setting in mind when equipping your units - the Combine aren't likely to import equipment from the other side of the world. Because conscripts are general soldiers, they can be deployed where necessary and have no constraints in what battles or activities they can take part in. Considering the mental state of Conscript units, they can also do deals with Rebel and Independent factions and even defect, so don't be afraid to dabble outside the Combine's rules. If you are unsure about anything, be sure to message me or another GM about it.

Combine - The Transhumans and Synths. This encompasses the brunt of the force you face in Half Life 2. Aircraft, Striders, transhuman infantry, apc's, hunters, even beta content like the Synth supersoldiers can be enlisted to fight in a Combine faction. If you can imagine it fitting in the Half-Life universe, you can probably use it. Just remember an Overwatch branch will NEVER have human soldiers. Every infantryman is a Transhuman - people turned into merciless, emotionless combat machines. They are incapable of understanding Resistance ideals and reasoning - they will fight to the last unless strictly ordered otherwise. Combine factions suppress uprisings and insurgencies and hunt down Resistance groups or anyone else they deem malignant, as well as defend strongholds and anything else Combine. Considering the scale of the Combine you can be granted near infinite numbers at any given location - just, again, don't go overboard. You can't just charge a million Overwatch guys at a Rebel settlement - be reasonable. Don't be afraid to get creative though, you're allowed to think outside the box here.

Combine Guard The middle ground between Conscripts and Transhumans. Loyalist conscripts who haven't been transhumanized but are held in some higher regard compared to conscript forces. They are better equipped and trained for combat, but generally don't oppose Combine ideals unlike that of a conscript faction.

• Resistance - The Resistance is a covert network of humans - and whoever else agrees with them - directly aligned with the Lambda movement aiming to take the fight back to the Combine. Resistance do anything in their power to either bloody the Combine's nose or house refugees from the Combine's oppressive grip. As a resistance faction you do whatever you think a resistance faction would do in the Half-Life universe. Scavenging the outlands, hitting convoys, instilling uprisings, attacking outposts, ect.

• Independent - Independent factions are any other auxiliary group not aligned with the Combine, but neither with the Resistance. Independent factions just try to get by doing whatever they want really. Independents can be bandits, traders, refugee groups, insurgents, or anything else you can think of that feels like it would fit. Get creative and explore your options

NPC factions
NPC factions are non-player entities that can be utilized for non-pvp skirmishes or interactions to develop your faction by either showing how they handle things or them in combat or whatever you want to show.
They take no specific forms and are just there as background. They are:
Citizens - your standard dudes and stuffs
Combine Overwatch, CP's, and other units
Lambda Resistance.

Faction intro template
This isn't necessary to use for your intro, but it's a good starting point and this information must still be explained.

1. Faction name

2. Faction alignment (optional - include goals)

3. Images of your faction doing stuff

4. Faction history

5.(Optional) area of operation

General faction rules

I personally don't mind how many factions you have, just as long as you don't create too many. I would generally draw the line at 3, but feel free to ask me about it if you're unsure.

Generally you'll want to consult a player before approaching/attacking their faction. Player interaction is greatly encouraged, however, so try not to sit in your little corner doing your own thing for too long.

If you've got nothing to do, make a post about scavenging something or a little skirmish with an NPC force, you're not restricted to only player interaction and events.

You do not need to be precise with your numbers, don't obsess over how many guys you have and how much ammo you have unless its vital to an event. For example it's not necessary to say "I've got 500 and a half helicopters and a gajillion and 43 soldiers" unless its in the context of them being lost or being part of an attack.

As a Combine faction:

you can't base your group entirely around Synths. You can include them as much as you want, but don't exclusively used striders or supersoldiers or gunships.

Don't get too powerful - you can't go wiping everyone's factions just because. Try to make posts about finding them first and if they're already located, make a few shots of your force moving there.

As Conscripts, keep in mind they're a cheap and disregarded force, don't jump the gun on things.

Try to remember transhumans are cold, precision-programmed killing machines. In the game they yell expletives and show distress in certain situations but that's the extent of their humanitt - you can't have a soldier talk or reason with someone else or do anything weird, all they do is follow orders. I can except a defective unit for the sake of a good narrative, but do ask if you wish to do anything out of the ordinary.

As a Resistance/Independent faction:

Again, don't act too powerful. You'll be hard-pressed to even have a few cars, let alone armored cars, tanks, ect. Also don't give everyone super modern assault rifles or all combine stuff, try to keep in mind all the stuff they have they must've scavenged.

If you wish to expand your inventory, make posts of you finding (or even building) the stuff you want.

You cannot have Transhumans in your faction, they are incapable of understanding resistance ideals. You could have them captured and locked up for fun if you really want though

Random events
There will be weekly/bi-weekly random events posted on weekends. These range from random loot drops that can be added to your faction or captured to prevent someone taking it, an uprising with both sides calling for help, an outpost under attack, a convoy passing somewhere, or anything else I'm able to think of. Players can interact with these events in any way they wish and it is intended to give everyone something to do. Some events will last indefinitely until a player secures it and some will last a few days. It's always a fun new surprise to take part in so always be on the lookout for them.

Currently running events:

• Armored car in the hands of a bandit group - needs fuel

Posted Image

Don't be a dick - we're all here to have fun and write our own narrative and I won't tolerate blatant bullying. Criticism is welcomed and encouraged, but keep it civilized

Your faction isn't untouchable - if you're being hit, take it. Don't act invincible - it's no fun for anyone.

You can't use storyline characters in your faction. The thread is set before Point Insertion so there's no Gordon, and you can't have Kleiner or Alyx directly attached to your faction

No WMD's. This used to be a whole "message me about it first thing" but I'm ruling them out completely, it's not really any fun and only promotes the 'invincible faction' and 'wiping out people' idea.

Remember to have fun, don't be intimidated if you think others are better than you. Just focus on telling your story

Pretty much, remember to be a reasonable person.

Faction list
Combine:

• 2nd Motorized Overwatch Heavy Response Unit - Olmate Ubafest
  • Task Force Habsburg, TF151 - BearingMetro
  • 72nd Combine unit - RoblixWW2
  • Militarized Civilian Detachment No.5 - Piggo
  • Overwatch Industrial Batallion - combinesupporter
  • 405th Legion - Admiral Gecko

Resistance:

• Lambda Prospekt East - Olmate Ubafest
  • RKCA (Resistance Kickin' Combine Asses) - Mattchewy
  • Nerds - Antloin
  • Nyebo Island Conglomerate - GM_Technicast
  • Sewer Rats - Pew,Pew

Independent:

• The Prospektors - Piggo
  • Eastern Minutemen - FBISWOODYBOI

Useful links
The Discord
The playable map
(as for a wiki, not sure if it's necessary but I will get around to it if everyone needs one.)

This game is still a WIP. OP, rules, map, and administration are up to change.
Oh, and pre-existing players, feel free to repost your faction intro if you want.
Edited by Olmate Ubafest, Feb 17 2018, 03:21 AM.

Admiral Gecko
Member Avatar

Awesome! Brace for carnage.
1. 405th Legion "The Wolfpack"

2. Combine Guard Garrison (Extreme Cold Weather Combat)

3. Posted Image
4. Initally formed as a Search and Rescue Regiment, it fell into disarray as many other regiments would use it as a place to dump misfits and fuck ups from other CG Regiments. It Was under the Command of General George Taylor where he would reform and retrain the 405th S&R Regiment into a Well Trained fighting force, that would distinguish themselves as one of the most Elite Non Trans-Human Garrisons on the Universal Union.

5.Area Of Operation: Ural Mountains(HQ), Siberian Wasteland
Posted Image
The 405th Are Headquartered in the Ural Mountains at Fort Briggs, a Massive Wall that spans across the one of the only accessible ways in from the Siberian Wastes. Out in the wastes range from massive forests, antlion colonies, to miles of frozen ice flats, to the 405th, its home.

Relax, I'm a Pilot

Viper
No Avatar

This place smells funny.

The Hopeful Idiot
No Avatar

Hello!I am here.Going to try and *finally* present my faction this week.
Edited by The Hopeful Idiot, Feb 10 2018, 10:08 PM.

Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

Just wanted to say: welcome to Metrocop. It's safer here.
Viper
Feb 10 2018, 10:05 AM
This place smells funny.
Well you don't smell like roses either. ;-)
Posted Image

combinesupporter
Member Avatar

Deciding to scrap the Overwatch Special Response Battalion. Ladies and gentlemen, introducing

Overwatch Industrial Batallion

Aligned with the Universal Union

Posted Image

Posted Image

After the industrial district of City 19 began falling behind with their quotas, a new battalion was created in order to pick up the slack of the factories. New workers were conscripted into the OIB's ranks and trained in industrial work.
But, due to constant harassment by local rebel groups, the OIB also consists of soldiers. The industrial district is run strictly and is a major producer of combine technology.

The Overwatch Industrial Battalion operates in industrial City 19.
Edited by combinesupporter, Feb 13 2018, 01:05 AM.
Therefore I say, yes, I am a collaborator. We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification.

Olmate Ubafest
Member Avatar

Only 16 days late (sorry piggo :P)

Nine miles away from Sawmill base

Posted Image
Quote:

LPE Veteran: Sawmill, this is Nightlight-1. Some sort of Conscript group just tried passing down this route, 2 cars. I've hit the lead with the RPG and they've stopped. Looks like they're packing the wounded into the remaining car and taking off. I say we get the scout car down here and chase them down.

Radio: Sounds good, sending it down with an extra squad. Happy hunting.

LPE Veteran: Understood.

Posted Image
Quote:

Driver: Alright here's the deal - we're picking up a scout unit some distance away and then hunting down some poor conscript assholes with them - we get their shit and you guys see action. Any questions?
Good. Sit tight, this'll get bumpy

Some time later...

Posted Image
Quote:

LPE Veteran: They saw you guys coming and took off up the road. Sounded like they were trying to find a place to hideout for a while, so my best bet is they're boarding themselves up in the gutted hotel just north and calling in reinforcements.

Driver: Well that's where we're goin' then. You two have room in the back, let's get the fuck after them

Posted Image
Quote:

LPE Veteran: Sawmill, this is Nightlight-1. We've been picked up and are after the Conscripts. I'd suggest calling up the Prospektors to help out on this one - apart from being good business the support would be helpful - I'm counting on these jackasses calling reinforcements so we might as well meet them the same.

Radio: We'll give them a call... I'm sure they'll be thrilled

LPE Veteran: Roger that, Nightlight-1 out.

Driver: The Prosp-who?

Posted Image
Quote:

Soldier: Command, we've hit a problem...

Posted Image
Quote:

Soldier: We've been ambushed by... some anticitizen group. We've fled to a nearby dwelling and are holding position, tending to the wounded...

Posted Image
Quote:

Soldier: ...we've been tracked... and are requesting immediate backup.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Quote:

LPE Fighter: SHIT! EVERYONE TO COVER NOW. THEY'RE HERE. THEY'RE HERE.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Quote:

LPE Veteran: You guys, keep them occupied. I'm hitting the left. Stay down and take it slow. Stay focused and we'll get through this.

Posted Image

Quote:

LPE Veteran: Shit... Sawmill, I could use an ETA on that reinforcement...

oooOooOOo to be continued
Edited by Olmate Ubafest, Feb 13 2018, 01:17 PM.

combinesupporter
Member Avatar

Quote:

In response to growing resistance activity, a new APC is produced.
The "VAB" APC is hardly as flashy as the standard APC, but is quite durable and sometimes has a mounted cannon on its top.
In order to protect City 19's factories, it was deployed in a large scale.

Posted Image
Edited by combinesupporter, Feb 14 2018, 08:09 PM.
Therefore I say, yes, I am a collaborator. We must all collaborate, willingly, eagerly, if we expect to reap the benefits of unification.

Piggo
Member Avatar

Quote:

During a light riot, a citizen of an apartment block in City 14 was beaten by a Prospetkor. Rumour has it he was serving as an informant for the authorities, however no one stopped the assasilant to ask him.

Posted Image

Olmate Ubafest
Member Avatar

Meanwhile...

Posted Image

A small Lambda Prospekt East group heads into a storm drain near The Mine to scope out a recent antlion problem.
Edited by Olmate Ubafest, Feb 16 2018, 09:30 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Screenshots · Next Topic »
  • Pages: