Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to the Metrocop forums! Metrocop is a site dedicated to creative content, such as comics and screenshots, created using Valve Software's Source engine. It's safer here.

To make posts or threads, please register as a member.

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
Recursion
Topic Started: Jan 7 2018, 09:57 PM (548 Views)
roboslacker
Member Avatar
2017's Most Active Comic Maker
This is an idea I've had for the better part of a year.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Scratch one resolution off the list.
Most active in 2017

Orpheus
Member Avatar
The Gunsmith

Damn dude, this is pretty cool.

Piggo
Member Avatar

Idea is pretty interesting, i enjoyed reading it, but make sure to improve your posing, a number of them suffer from gmod buckled leg symptom.

Mythos
Member Avatar
The Maladjusted

It's like Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need is Kill in Half-Life 2, that's neat. Posing and editing need a lot of work though, keep working and improving!
Posted Image

Gundam_mk2
Member Avatar
Gunny
interesting concept, like to see what you do with it

Yukon
Member Avatar
Canadian, Eh

Very interesting concept that I can definitely see being developed into a full comic. But like others have said the posing and editing do need some work.
Posted Image

roboslacker
Member Avatar
2017's Most Active Comic Maker
The G-man ended up far harder to find than I had intended, probably because the screenshot he's in was shrunk a lot. If you look real closely, he's visible in compilation image.
Most active in 2017

Orpheus
Member Avatar
The Gunsmith

Something else I just noticed: I really like that you took the time to pose the spent shell from the pistol in each frame. Really nice attention to detail.

Definitely work on your posing, and maybe invest in a copy of Photoshop (or GIMP if you can't afford it) and that'll make a big difference with your speech bubbles.

Mjolnir82991
Member Avatar
How make comics?

I agree with the others that the concept is interesting. I don't think I've seen time loops explored in a GMod comic before. I definitely encourage you to keep at it. Your posing and editing need work. But that all comes with time, to which I can well attest.

However, to help you along, here's some actionable advice to help you improve your next comic.

1. Tuck the "duck butt":
A sure sign of a newbie comic-maker is the "duck butt" that happens when posing ragdolls. Most people stand up their ragdolls by dragging them by their head, freezing it there, and doing nothing else. No! What you need to do is this: after you freeze the head, grab the waist and pull it forward so the pelvis is vertical, then straighten out the upper body. Getting it right will take a few tries, but mastering the basic standing pose is essential to improving the quality of all your poses.

Or if that's too old-school, you can take the easy way out and download the standing pose tool. Either way eliminates the duck butt. But I encourage you to learn how to do it by hand before relying on tools to do it for you.

2. Noclip and zoom are your best friends:
One thing I noticed about your comic is that most of the frames are wide-angle, medium range, and taken at standing height. When you use the same kind of shot for every frame, it gets visually boring. You need to vary your shot composition.

I don't know how much you know about GMod, so I hope you won't feel insulted if I point out a couple features:
- Holding crouch while in noclip will slow you down so you can fine-tune your camera angle
- To level the camera while zoomed, keep holding the right mouse button and press R

Use these tools to experiment with different kinds of angles. Then, when editing, use the shots that "feel" right. The most fun way to learn what works is by playing with the camera yourself.

3. Eliminate unnecessary visual information:
This follows on the heels of the last point, as it deals with composition. Because you use a lot of wide-angle, medium shots, there's a lot of wasted space. Each frame conveys visual information. Therefore, you need to focus on what visual information is most important for that particular shot. You want to show that the metrocop is shooting the man? Then you only need to show the metrocop, the man, the gun, the muzzle flare, and the blood splatter. We don't need to see the briefcase or the park bench a hundred feet away. You want to show that the man is walking through a turnstile? We only need to see the man and the turnstile. We don't need to see down the hallway into the next room. This is where zooming in will help you.

Final Thoughts
I give this advice in love. You're exactly where a lot of us were when we were early in our GMod comic careers, so to speak. It all comes with time and effort. But effort is the hard part. If you have questions about what I said in this post, or just any questions in general, feel free to ask. I hope to see more comics from you soon.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

jim_cjr
Member Avatar
Doctor...Doctor who?
I like it! Kind of Groundhog Day, but dark... Keep it up!
Episode 2; Team Fortress 2; Portal 2... "Episodic model" scrapped... 2x2x2=8... HALF-LIFE 8 CONFIRMED!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Comics · Next Topic »
  • Pages: